Skip navigation

Question on rejecting the Toondah Harbour development

On Tuesday 16 April 2024 I asked the Premier whether his Government will rule out support for development on internationally protected Moreton Bay wetlands at the Toondah Harbour site. 

You can read my question and the Premier's response below, or in the official Parliamentary record of proceedings (Hansard). 

Mr BERKMAN: My question this morning is to the Premier. Federal environment minister Tanya Plibersek has proposed rejecting Walker Corporation’s Toondah Harbour development at Moreton Bay which the now Premier supported as planning minister under a secret agreement with the developer.
Will the Premier commit to withdrawing the government’s support for any private development on these Ramsar listed wetlands?

Mr MILES: I thank the member for Maiwar for his question. Obviously we have seen that draft decision from the federal environment minister and we will analyse it and consider its implications. The member implied that I had played a role as planning minister. From my recollection my last direct role was actually as environment minister and that related to the marine parks questions. The support that I indicated at that time was based on the support of QYAC and the traditional owners of Minjerribah.

They had indicated they would like to see economic development projects that created jobs. At the time members will recall—

Mr Power interjected.
Mr Crisafulli interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Sorry, Premier. Member for Logan and Leader of the Opposition, I can see the quarrel going on. You are both warned under the standing orders.

Mr MILES: At the time members will recall we were in the process of phasing out sandmining on Minjerribah after those opposite had arbitrarily extended Sibelco’s leases in return for significant political donations. This project and that proposal have a long and chequered history. Clearly, we will accept the outcome, whatever that may be, of the minister’s decision under the EPBC Act. As I say, we have a period of time in which to absorb her draft decision and consider whether further submissions will be made. As I say, the assurance I can give is we will obviously accept the outcome and the minister’s decision.

Continue Reading

Read More